Companies use distribution list for internal and external communications of employees. Distribution list is a group of e-mail addresses (Group mails), under a single e-mail address. Every email send to a distribution reaches everyone included in the list. This is the easiest way to select different addresses from Outlook address book at a stretch. For all the sales related queries, “firstname.lastname@example.org” address can be used and each employee in sales department will be intimated. Internal communication is made easier using distribution list.
For setting a distribution list, you need a server side support. Microsoft Exchange Server is the simplest one in creating a group mailbox. Microsoft help has the easiest procedure for creating distribution list from the Outlook address book. This article focuses into the steps for creating a distribution list for group mailing.
Creating distribution list for Outlook 2007 and 2003
Creating distribution list form Outlook address book is very simple and easy. The steps are as follows:
- Launch Outlook from Start menu.
- Click File menu on the main toolbar.
- Select New from the drop-down menu.
- Choose Distribution List from the displayed menu.
- Type the name of the list in the box labeled Name.
- Click on the Select Members button.
- Choose the names to be added from the address book.
- Click on Members option at the bottom. You can also type email address directly in the Members box, separated by a semi-colon (;).
- Click OK.
- Select Save and Close the dialog box.
For a company or business distribution list, server side setting is necessary. After creating the distribution list, you can use the list for sending bulk emails to the members added in the list. The steps are:
- Open a new message window.
- In the To box, type the name of the distribution list or click To and select it from the address book.
- Enter the message and click Send.
The message will be send to all the members in the distribution list.
Personal distribution list
Distribution lists can be created for personal contacts also like family, school friends, soccer team etc. Any message meant for a group of people can be send using the distribution list. If ever you want to send individual email to any one of the member, you can just type the name or email address of that person alone in the TO field and the email will be send to that contact alone.